Park Golf Club Course
The Park Golf Club plays on the Southport Municipal Golf Course, which has the distinction of being England’s first Municipal Links Course (1912), was designed by one of the world’s most renowned golf course architects – Harry Shapland Colt.
PAGE NOTE: Enlarged images load in a new window
The Park GC card is different to the Municipal Golf Course card, it varies in length: Park Golf Club Club’s Back Blocks 6500 yards, Municipal Boards 6249 yards, White Tees 6169, Yellow Tees 5873 yards and Red Tees (Ladies & Junior) 5233 yards. Whilst the WHITE TEES move, they always maintain a qualifying medal distance.
The course is level throughout; however, it plays its full length particularly with the prevailing wind from the south-west that tends to blow strongly from the Irish Sea. It is a seaside links course with ponds, ditches, small wood coppices and wild birds (swans, ducks, etc). Feeding the birds encourages them to visit you on the tees!!!!
The front nine tends to play harder than the back. The prevailing wind turns our 7th (par 4),14th (par 4) and 17th (par 4) into par 5’s for the average golfer. For some competitions only the front 9 holes are used. There is a card for the 18 holes and there is a card that is used for front 9 competitions (see relevant enlargeable images).
The Park Golf Club Juniors’ Section are pleased that as juniors Michael Baldwin, Tommy Fleetwood and Lee Slaterley some of the UK’s top Professionals started to develop their skills in this Club.
- The 150yd marker from the green (green post with a white top) is measured to the CENTRE of each green.
- GREEN FLAGS
- RED indicates hole in front third of the green
- YELLOW indicates hole in the central third
- WHITE indicates hole in the back third